Saturday, November 14, 2009

NEC Codes

I am awaiting the arrival of the system and trying to take advantage of this time to plan every detail of the install so there will be no surprises. I have been reading the NEC codes related to solar installation and I want all codes complied with. These codes are written for safety and performance of the system. Throughout the installation all NEC codes shall be complied with. Today I had a local solar installer come give me his thoughts on the system and he agreed with all that I have planned. The engineers called for #8 thwn-2 wire to be the conductor from my load center to the AC disconnect switch. Today I made access to the load center by removing a window of sheet rock beneath my load center. I then accessed the location where the conductor would exit the wall to the outside where the ac disconnect is located. When I built my house, I put a 1" hole in the brick for this access. I ran 3/4 inch rain tight flexible conduit from the exterior of the house through the 1'' access hole to the load center and properly secured to the knock out lug. The backfeed will be through a 30 amp two pole breaker that was placed in the load center. I did not connect to the conductor to the 30 amp breaker. I marked with chaulk the outline of the disconnect and the inverter on the brick. I then ran #8 thwn-2 wire through the flexible conduitand have it ready for the connection to the AC disconnect when available. All of the connections shall be verified by a licensed electrician to verify all NEC codes were complied with.

Note: My load center has a 200 amp main breaker. This will support up to 40 amps of back feed. If you have a 100 amp main breaker on your load center, the backfeed breaker will be limited to 20 amps.

No comments:

Post a Comment